Wednesday 8 June 2011

Jelly & Japanese!

Ok so it has been a couple of weeks since I last blogged, so let me tell you what I have been up to.

Bank Holiday

For the May bank holiday, instead of going out and being pushed around a bar waiting forever to get served, we decided to throw a house party. I love a good house party, it's an opportunity to have a really good laugh, a cheap night and not have sore feet. To add a little something extra to the party, I decided to provide some alcoholic jelly shots : D



I made 120 shots in total, I bought the plastic shot glasses from Poundland. 40 for £1, bargain!

I made 3 flavours, and decided to base them on cocktails. The trick to making sure that they set is to make sure there is an equal or greater ratio of water to alcohol, but don't worry, they were still very strong!

I used a pyrex jug measuring 1 pint to make the shots and made two jugs per flavour. The measurements below are for one jug. The jelly I used was Hartleys and was about 35p from Asda.

Tequila Sunrise

1 packet of orange jelly

12oz hot water (if you want to make them stronger you can put just 10oz hot water and substitute the other two for extra alcohol)

4oz tequila

4oz grenadine

Amaretto Sours

1 packet of lime jelly

10oz hot water

7oz amaretto

3oz cold water

Half a pack of sherbert dip-dab

Half a lemon to squeeze the juice of

Flirtini

1 packet of raspberry jelly (Flirtini's are meant to be made with pineapple juice but I couldn't find any pineapple jelly so I substituted raspberry)

12oz hot water

5 oz champagne (I used one of the 'one glass' bottles of sparkling rose that you can get from asda)

3oz vodka


The Flirtini jelly shots were the strongest by far, due to the fact that there was two lots of alcohol in them. It only took about an hour to make the shots and I left them in the fridge for a good 18 hours. They were perfectly set. They are a little difficult to shot so I also got some straws that had a little spoon end from poundland, they worked a treat at loosening up the jelly for shotting purposes : D


Walrus canteen & lounge

A couple of days after bank holiday, me and a couple of my friends went to Manchester for some shopping and then dinner & cocktails after. I had originally purchased a voucher off Groupon, which I personally think is fantastic. The deal was 2 cocktails, 2 starters and 2 mains for £17 (when purchased normally in restaurant it would come to £50). I bought the voucher because I thought it was a fantastic deal.

Walrus does food by day and is a club by night, so I have been before on a night out round Manchester. We were curious to see what the food would be like as most bars and clubs that do food tend to serve burgers and other similar food, not Japanese!

We were pleasantly surprised. The food was FANTASTIC. It was completely fresh, made-to-order food and it tasted great.




Above are the prawn crackers we ordered and instead of just receiving your bog standard prawn cracker, there were also spicier crackers included. Also seen in the picture is the cocktail we recieved as part of the deal, we ordered a 'Carribean Manhattan', which is basically a fruity rum cocktail, and they did not hold back on the measurements!


This is the starter that I ordered, it is a Chicken & Pork Gyazu. It was basically little parcels filled with chicken and pork and was pretty similar to dim-sum in style. It was served with a soy sauce, which I personally wasn't that keen on but the starter itself was excellent.



I then ordered a Tom Yam soup for my main course, which is a hot & sour king prawn soup. It was delicious and I did enjoy it, but it was a result of my default setting to always order prawns if on the menu. My friend ordered a Beef Donburi, which was an amazing creamy, nutty rice dish with really tender beef on top. Like I said, I didn enjoy what I ordered but I wish I had ordered the same as my friend, she said hers was excellent, and I agreed after tasting it!

After our meal we ordered a further round of cocktails, this time it was served in a really tall glass, and it was called Hubba Bubba, basically fruit juices and fruit liqeurs, it was yum! After that we went on to the Hard Rock Cafe for Margaritas!

In other news, I have started to train hard for my bike ride at the end of August, and after going out on my bike for the first time in a VERY long time, I have realised that I'm going to need to train a lot as 56 miles suddenly seems like a very long way! I am however still looking forward to it.  I'm just counting down the days until I go to Egypt, I've been reading some fab reviews about the hotel and I'm really looking forward to a good rest!

No comments:

Post a Comment