Thursday 24 February 2011

Foodie Fears

Ok, so as a self-confessed foodie, I do appreciate a lot of different types of food and enjoy eating them. But occasionally, the fussy child in me rears it's unadventurous head. This time it was olives. I love olives, but for some reason I can't bring myself to eat the black ones. It is born from that innate childish intuition that if you don't like the look of something then you won't like eating it. Somebody once told me that black olives were more bitter than green olives, so I have been wary of them since.

I have been frightened of bitter things ever since I was at Liverpool airport and purchased a scone with some marmalade. The marmalade was, I can say without a doubt, the most vile thing I have ever tasted. My mouth felt offended and violated. I couldn't get rid of the taste quick enough.

The lesson? Just because something looks nice does not mean it will taste nice. I thought it would taste a bit like jam, but no, it did not. Sorry Paddington, but I think you got this one wrong.

And to prove my theory further, I think that mussels look hideous. I was a little scared of their slimy appearance and what I can only describe as that little furry looking bit at the end. But my friend forced me to eat one and now I like them. The same friend introduced me to olives.

I shared a similar dislike for mushrooms, based on their appearance, but then I ate a breaded mushroom by mistake (the greatest discoveries happened by mistake you know) and oila! Can't get enough of 'em.

Having acknowledged and admitted that I do have a couple of food phobias (but overcame them I might add) it saddens me when I meet someone who admits that they refuse to eat most of the things that I love, and I can't understand it.

But then again, the majority of people in life love corn on the cob.


I hate it with a passion

2 comments:

  1. I hate olives! Something about that flavour is just ewww.
    Corn is amazing though :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I do feel as though I am alone in a world of corn lovers!

    ReplyDelete