Wednesday 16 March 2011

To Good To Be True

Yesterday a good friend of mine sent me a message about how she felt cheated when a snack she thought was good for her, was in fact pretty bad for her. The culprit? Coconut. The sneaky little devil mascarades as fruit, when in reality, it is calorie laden and fat ridden. So imagine her shock that she thought she was being a good girl when really, her pot of chopped up coconut contained 375 calories and 33.5g of fat. Uh Oh!

Why is it that most things that taste great are bad for you? And some things that taste horrendous are saintly for you?

Case study no 1: Good things that taste bad

A couple of years ago I went on a major health kick to the point of stupidity and purchased some seaweed & algae shakes aftye reading that Victoria Beckham swore by them and that they were supposedly incredibly detoxing and good for you. They look, smell and taste like pondwater (I can't say I have ever drank pond water, but if somebody was to drink some, I should imagine that this is what it tastes like). I even tried mixing it with apple juice but I could not manage to finish a glass of it.

Although I do stand an earlier post of mine that marmalade is by far the worse thing I have ever tasted.

Case study no 2: Things you think are healthy, but actually are not

A friend of mine was once shocked when I informed her that cheese is not excactly a 'gorge as much as you like' food. Similarly, I was surprised to find that houmous is full of fat, and as just mentioned, coconut is not quite as sin-free as a bag of grapes. Cue a feeling of being cheated and defeated.

Caste study no 3: Most things that taste fantastic, are bad for you

Chocolate, cake, ice cream, crisps, sweets, creamy pasta, cheese ( I love cheese), mashed potatoes, my list could go on and on. It's not fair is it? Eat in moderation.

It is a bit of a mine field, I feel a little sorry for people who genuinely don't know anything about healthy eating, because there are many things out there that you would think are good for you, but really are not. Another difficult one is salads, walk into a restaurant, or grab a ready-made salad from a supermarket, and you think you are doing a good thing, but watch that salad dressing, it's a wolf in disguise. My absolute favorite salad is a ceasar salad, and asda does a great one with chicken bacon, pasta and parmasan. But it's not exactly great for me.

So if you are watching what you eat, check that nutrition label!

No comments:

Post a Comment